Happy Anniversary

Happy Anniversary
My Loves

Vincent Murphy

Central New York

Central New York
Rocks!

Spring

Spring
Come On!

Awwwwww

Awwwwww
I miss my Missy

Better Days

Better Days
they'll come again

Alicia Vida Billman

Alicia Vida Billman
is 29 today

This says it all!

This says it all!
Friday noon, you're coming home with me Vinny.

Vincent Murphy?

Vincent Murphy?
What!?

Tuesday nights

Tuesday nights
are gonna change in May

Mr. Murphy

Mr. Murphy
waiting for his haircut

When I get bored

When I get bored
I take pictures of myself in bathrooms

Graphic Boulevard

Graphic Boulevard
blown transformers and a tree

Cars in Bergenfield

Cars in Bergenfield
didn't do well

House on Queen St

House on Queen St
with a for sale sign in front of it

Bergenfield

Bergenfield
Storm 2010

Vincent Murphy

Vincent Murphy
and his look alike Bob Murphy

Off my back porch

Off my back porch
Don't worry I didn't take this pic while falling

Down Kellogg Street

Down Kellogg Street

Up Kellogg Street

Up Kellogg Street

My house, our cars

My house, our cars

Winter 2010

Winter 2010

Summer!

Summer!
I want summer back!

Sunday, May 17, 2009

Friend or Pho?

Yeah, that's cheesy. But if you haven't eaten at Pho Mekong, you haven't experienced one of Utica's finest dining traditions. Pho Mekong has been in this area approximately as long as I have, and it's a place where D and I have been going since the bloom of our relationship was on the rose, so to speak. The food is flavorful and interesting, with pho, spring rolls, bun (which I just learned means vermicelli) dishes, and a soup that has pineapple and tomato as well as stir fries of various types. The spring rolls are the best I've ever had, and I've eaten a lot of spring rolls in a lot of places, east and west. The lady (cute and running a restaurant on her own) who owns Pho Mekong is really nice too, so that makes it a great place to eat.

Last night D and I went to Sunny, Utica's new pan Asian restaurant. Let me say that sometimes I'm suspicious of the whole pan Asian thing, but this place is great. We had a Cambodian Farmer's soup and spring rolls with pork (you can choose your meat) and (yeah we ordered too much food) a Thai chicken dish and (yeah, there's more) a beef dish served on lettuce with tomatoes, cilantro and a vinegar salt and pepper sauce. It was great. The lady (cute and nice) who owns the place is really outgoing and again making a go of it (I hope) as a small business owner in Utica.

So support these places people! We need to have some food in Utica that doesn't come with marinara sauce. Not that I'm opposed to a chicken parm, as you know.

In other news, today is Star Trek day. I'll be sitting in a cushy seat at the Marquee theater (not in my pajama bottoms cause it's an afternoon show) watching the new movie and hoping William Shatner dropped a few pounds and that Leonard Nimoy doesn't have a musical number. I really should dress up, but I don't have anything trekkie enough to embarrass D. I guess I'll just have to settle for bringing my Phaser (set on stun, of course).

Tomorrow is Jockeybush Lake day, unless it's raining. I've found a new lake in the Adirondacks to hike to, one that looks pretty enough to rival Nine Corner Lake in beauty. Anybody wanna go with me?

So, let me ask you a question. What Star Trek is your Star Trek? I have a hard time with this one. I watched the first show (now deemed Star Trek Classic) as a kid and didn't get it at all. I only watched it because my two much older brothers did. Mrs. Murphy might not have approved it for viewing. I think the Next Generation was great, well, I thought so at the time. Viewing them now reveals that Jonathan Frakes was apparently made out of wood. Just sayin'.

What Start Trek do you like? Or do you favor some other space series? Star Wars? Lost in Space? TV or movie: makes no difference to me.

Happy Sunday and
Peace to all of us

6 comments:

  1. No, no, it is not "Star Trek Classic", it is TOS. You have to get the lingo!

    Where is this new restaurant?

    TOS is cheesy fun, but I was too far ahead of it socially (since I watched in reruns decades later) to realize its true impact. "Yeah, Bill kissed Nichelle, two hot people snogging on a tv show. What, you want a cookie?" TNG was great, Voyager was ok, I never touched the abomination that was Enterprise. I'd have to say that for complex storylines and episodes that make you think, I'd have to go with DS9.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am told that I am engaged to a trekkie, thankfully he introduced to me Voyager because I was not ready to be thrown into watching the new Star Trek movie without at least having some respect for the culture.

    However I think I will have to give Deep Space 9 a shot since everyone thinks that it is so good. Never again will I attempt and Enterprise marathon. I tried it once and was wondering the whole time where the bridge was.

    The new movie was amazing, and really gave me a new appreciation of a culture of obsessed people that I thought were simply brainwashed before. If I have to choose a favorite character, I think I would choose Neelix. I know it is an odd choice, but I just think that he is so scatter-brained that it makes him likeable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ok, i'm embarrassed but i'm blaming it on my husband, who has "influenced" me (does it count as domestic abuse?) to watch star trek at times. many times. so, my vote is definitely for deep space 9--i actually enjoyed the stories, writing, and characters on that show.

    if you're looking for other good space watching, check out serenity (movie) and firefly (tv series), both created by joss whedon. i have both if you want to borrow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yeah, Serenity was amazing! I think I also watched some Firefly, it was based on Serenity if I remember correctly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jess, if you watch DS9, keep in mind that it didn't really come into its own until the 2nd or 3rd season. I have a friend who just started watching it and is quite underwhelmed, and I had to stop and remember that the 1st season wasn't really all that great. As it went on, it moved away from the "Sisko as chosen one" focus and more into character development.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How did I miss this post? Why was I not informed?!?

    Carlie, you made all of my points for me... good job :-)

    ReplyDelete