Happy Anniversary

Happy Anniversary
My Loves

Vincent Murphy

Central New York

Central New York
Rocks!

Spring

Spring
Come On!

Awwwwww

Awwwwww
I miss my Missy

Better Days

Better Days
they'll come again

Alicia Vida Billman

Alicia Vida Billman
is 29 today

This says it all!

This says it all!
Friday noon, you're coming home with me Vinny.

Vincent Murphy?

Vincent Murphy?
What!?

Tuesday nights

Tuesday nights
are gonna change in May

Mr. Murphy

Mr. Murphy
waiting for his haircut

When I get bored

When I get bored
I take pictures of myself in bathrooms

Graphic Boulevard

Graphic Boulevard
blown transformers and a tree

Cars in Bergenfield

Cars in Bergenfield
didn't do well

House on Queen St

House on Queen St
with a for sale sign in front of it

Bergenfield

Bergenfield
Storm 2010

Vincent Murphy

Vincent Murphy
and his look alike Bob Murphy

Off my back porch

Off my back porch
Don't worry I didn't take this pic while falling

Down Kellogg Street

Down Kellogg Street

Up Kellogg Street

Up Kellogg Street

My house, our cars

My house, our cars

Winter 2010

Winter 2010

Summer!

Summer!
I want summer back!

Sunday, April 12, 2009

I warned you

I don't know what it is, but Easter makes me get all crazy. I don't have a basket, haven't colored eggs in years, and have only been to Mass to take my mother once or twice over the last many years. For some reason, yesterday in the car I found myself saying "This is the Lamb of God; happy are those who are called to his table." It made D a little nervous.

Maybe it's the buildup to Easter that strikes a little cord. After all, as a Catholic school kid by the time we got to Easter it had been all those many weeks of madness and deprivation that began with Ash Wednesday. By this I mean extra Masses attended as a class. If you think the Mass is anxiety-inducing, try going with 25 other kids and a nun times 24 (roughly the student and nun population of St. John the Evangelist School).

Whatever the reason, Easter brings back so many memories. Some highlights include:
the year I asked for and received white chocolate, never to ask for it again
the year I received a sugar egg that had a peephole and a sugar-crafted scene inside
the year I took my own missal to church. Yes, it was titled My First Missal.
the many years I wore a new no-sleeve dress to Mass because it used to be warm on Easter
the year (this is a big one) a new rabbit coincided with Easter (Falfee, short for Alfalfa)
the big meal after Mass, then my grandfather sitting in his lawn chair on the sidewalk, telling the neighborhood kids stories)
the year I put chocolate eggs on brother Stephen while he was sleeping as a treat, and he woke up to think he was covered in dried blood. I was actually doing it to be a nice sister, but he didn't believe that
all the years that we ate all those giant leg 'o lambs, as their referred to in my family

Told you it would be sappy.
Happy Easter

2 comments:

  1. Happy Easter!

    Here are some Easter memories from my family, and yes they are amusing, because only the amusing ones are worth telling!

    -We have an easter egg hunt in our backyard every year. Three years ago my brother found an egg that was very faded. Sure enough it was from the year before, still full of chocolate.

    -We have a tradition in our family where a family friend makes us a butter lamb, and before dinner it has always been one of the kids' job to "slaughter" it. We chop off it's head to butter our roll, and it is officially time to eat.

    -The easter bunny used to hide our baskets all over the house, and one year he hid my sister's behind an antique radio. It took her nearly an hour to find it after everyone else had finished.

    -My Easter basket has never been hidden in an inventive place, subsequently I have never been last to find mine. Mine is usually in the oven, or behind the couch. I guess he sees it as the places I am most likely to frequent.

    - It is tradition in our house to dye eggs, my brothers creativity leads him to put at least one egg in every color dye possible in order to make it an odd shade of brown.

    -My mother is the only one in our family who is able to successfully make blown eggs. apparently it takes some skill to blow the yolk out of an egg, and then carefully paint them. We have a full "tree" of them. Our attempts in years past have led to many a cracked eggs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Easter girlie. Your family sounds like so much fun. Maybe you'll return to CNY and I can meet them.

    ReplyDelete