Happy Anniversary

Happy Anniversary
My Loves

Vincent Murphy

Central New York

Central New York
Rocks!

Spring

Spring
Come On!

Awwwwww

Awwwwww
I miss my Missy

Better Days

Better Days
they'll come again

Alicia Vida Billman

Alicia Vida Billman
is 29 today

This says it all!

This says it all!
Friday noon, you're coming home with me Vinny.

Vincent Murphy?

Vincent Murphy?
What!?

Tuesday nights

Tuesday nights
are gonna change in May

Mr. Murphy

Mr. Murphy
waiting for his haircut

When I get bored

When I get bored
I take pictures of myself in bathrooms

Graphic Boulevard

Graphic Boulevard
blown transformers and a tree

Cars in Bergenfield

Cars in Bergenfield
didn't do well

House on Queen St

House on Queen St
with a for sale sign in front of it

Bergenfield

Bergenfield
Storm 2010

Vincent Murphy

Vincent Murphy
and his look alike Bob Murphy

Off my back porch

Off my back porch
Don't worry I didn't take this pic while falling

Down Kellogg Street

Down Kellogg Street

Up Kellogg Street

Up Kellogg Street

My house, our cars

My house, our cars

Winter 2010

Winter 2010

Summer!

Summer!
I want summer back!

Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Sureanbloggorah

I'm afraid it's that time of year again -- when I sorta get my Irish on. In my defense, I can't help it. When I was growing up in the big NJ, St. Patrick's Day was really the only time of the year I thought it might be even a little bit cool to be an Irish American. After all, I do possess the most common Irish surname, so looking for leprechauns and four leaf clovers ought to come natural to me.

It does and it doesn't. For me, St. Patrick's Day has always been a strange time. When I lived in Idaho there weren't too many Irish Americans around, and my daughters' school teachers sometimes asked me to make soda bread and bring it to class. I would comply and even lead them in a round of The Wearin' of the Green or some such other song. But one time some teacher asked me to talk about Ireland, and there you have it. I don't know a thing about Ireland, really. It is my little fantasy island in a way -- the place my grandfather ran from and never talked about. When he, Daniel Tade (or Tadhg if ya wanna get Irish about it), left Cork he really left it, case closed, New World; New York City here I come.

My mother's family is really the more Irish side in a way. While my father's father was Irish, he died young and my grandmother's British influence is more apparent in my father. My mother's side of the family has been from NYC so long that they know as much about Ireland as I do.

But, is that gonna stop me from making corned beef and cabbage? Well, no, and as a matter of fact I made some on Sunday. Is that gonna stop me from singing Danny Boy accompanied by my computer-generated melody? Nope, even while I feel like a total fool doing it, I'll be belting it out with tears streaming down me face.

It's kinda weirdly hypocritical, I think, for someone so lacking in any kind of "pride" to get all sappy every year for a few weeks. I can't even say it's because of family tradition. Yeah, we ate corned beef and sometimes my mother bought a soda bread from the bakery, and we'd say Erin Go Bragh at the dinner table, but I think St. Patrick's Day was more a Hallmark holiday.

So, maybe St. Patrick's Day is my gothic -- the terrible beauty to which I am drawn. I dunno, but I think I'm going to invest in a pretty good whiskey for this one. So think of me, dear bloggers, on March 17th when I may be reeling around with cabbagey breath singing When Irish Eyes Are Smiling over the phone to Mr. and Mrs. Murphy while trying to keep from them the fact that I've had a wee drop.

Anybody else have any customs, traditions or holidays that make them feel ambivalent? I bet I'm not the only one . . .

3 comments:

  1. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMy-5J0OHT4

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Carlie:
    I'd forgotten how much I love that skit, thanks. It reminds me of how nobody (including me) really knows the words to Danny Boy. Btw, what faculty member at SUNYIT does Animal remind you of?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey guess what.
    I've been looking into Irish citizenship because someone told me that they had changed some standards. If you get your mom or pops to register their births in the National Registry, then you can become an Irish citizen pretty easily. They are recognized as citizens, they just have to register. Unfortunately, I probably can't apply. If you had registered before I was born, I could. Poop. I wanted to go work in the EU! You can though!

    ReplyDelete