Happy Anniversary

Happy Anniversary
My Loves

Vincent Murphy

Central New York

Central New York
Rocks!

Spring

Spring
Come On!

Awwwwww

Awwwwww
I miss my Missy

Better Days

Better Days
they'll come again

Alicia Vida Billman

Alicia Vida Billman
is 29 today

This says it all!

This says it all!
Friday noon, you're coming home with me Vinny.

Vincent Murphy?

Vincent Murphy?
What!?

Tuesday nights

Tuesday nights
are gonna change in May

Mr. Murphy

Mr. Murphy
waiting for his haircut

When I get bored

When I get bored
I take pictures of myself in bathrooms

Graphic Boulevard

Graphic Boulevard
blown transformers and a tree

Cars in Bergenfield

Cars in Bergenfield
didn't do well

House on Queen St

House on Queen St
with a for sale sign in front of it

Bergenfield

Bergenfield
Storm 2010

Vincent Murphy

Vincent Murphy
and his look alike Bob Murphy

Off my back porch

Off my back porch
Don't worry I didn't take this pic while falling

Down Kellogg Street

Down Kellogg Street

Up Kellogg Street

Up Kellogg Street

My house, our cars

My house, our cars

Winter 2010

Winter 2010

Summer!

Summer!
I want summer back!

Friday, February 27, 2009

Fetish or Product Indorsement? You decide.

From Wikipedia (that source of student resentment) we get the following definition of the word fetish . . .

Fetish may refer to:

* Fetish, a song by Dj Falk
* Fetishism, the attribution of religious or mystical qualities to inanimate objects
* Sexual fetishism, sexual attraction to materials and objects not conventionally viewed as being sexual in nature
* Fetish (album) (1999), by Joan Jett and the Blackhearts
* Commodity fetishism, a Marxist concept of valuation in capitalist markets
* Growth Fetish, the pursuit of economic growth in politics and economic theory as a universal cure for all society's problems
* Fetish fashion, clothing and clothing fetishes
* Zuni fetishes, small carvings from various stones, made by the Zuni Indians
* Venturi Fétish, a car produced by Venturi Automobiles

Lit crit folks have loved to roll around in the grass with this idea for decades. The thing about a fetish that's so cool is that imbuing it with any of the above mentioned qualities means that we're acknowledging that we love the thing and somehow think the thing loves in return. Yeah, I know it gets a little weird because the thing that loves us in return is so subjective and individuated. Maybe for some wackier types it's something really crazy like John Donne's poetry or some such other written word that makes one's heart swell.

I have few such things in my life; I am, for all my flights of fancy, sort of grounded in the "real thing" (Jess, if you're out there, I expect you to recognize that allusion and want to read Bill Unwin again), but . . .

I have to say that . . .

I heart Trappist Ginger preserves with a heart so full, so true, so . . .

Seriously, this stuff is so good -- spicy, sweet, spicy -- oh yeah baby!

I hope it's on a shelf at a store near you. If not, maybe you should see if you can get it on the Internet, but watch out, it's magic.

Anybody got any recommendations for me?

P.S.: I'm not telling which definition from the above best described my "relationship" with ginger preserves.

1 comment:

  1. Sorry, Dr. Pat, I have no interest in Bill Unwin, however I do like the topic simply because this was an area I had planned on concentrating on in college. (specifically fetish #3) I was really interesting in the neuropsychology of fetishism, and wanted to know more about how it occurred and if there were any triggers to it's development. If I were a true researcher by profession it would be my life's goal to find the answers.

    ReplyDelete